The Focke Wulf 190D series of aircraft were designed to keep the Luftwaffe competitive while the Ta 152 was developed. FW had from the beginning built the basic 190 airframe to the power-egg concept. As A model 190s entered service, FW was looking to improve the breed with several different engines.The D was born from necessity to get something better to the front. Because the RLM had canceled the major day bomber programs, the Jumo 213 inline engine was available.The increased length of the new nose meant that the fuselage was lengthened to restore balance. The engine mounts, first fuselage bulkhead and the forward fuselage were strengthened. The vertical stabilizer was extended. No changes were required of the tail surfaces, wing structure or the landing gear. Because of the interchangeability of the FW sub-assemblies, some Ds were equipped with Ta 152 tails. The D model was faster and more agile than a base A model. It was on par with its major adversaries in the last year of the war. Delays with the Ta 152 meant that over 1500 examples of the D were built or converted from repaired A airframes.FW continued to improve the D. By the end of the war, the D series included the D-9,D-10,D-11,D-12,D-13 and D-15.

       This kit was released in the early 1980’s under the Minicraft/Hasagawa flag and it was the best at that time.I built the basic kit OOB and remember this as the first time I used “crazy” glue.The markings are based on a b/w photo taken just after the end of the war. The horizontal bar denotes a II Gruppe, black usually denotes a 2nd Staffel, but of an unknown JG. There does not appear to be a W.Nr. on the tail.

       All paints used on this project were Humbrol and Floquil. I imagined that late war conditions would cause production and supply problems so I painted the upper surfaces RLM 02 overall with RLM 76 on undersurfaces. I applied RLM 71 as a single contrast color. I didn’t try to get that Luftwaffe mottled effect and went for a soft blend on the fuselage sides. I was looking for that “simple rush to get from the factory into combat” look.

       I used the Microscale 72-15 sheet for the staffel marks. I used the Microscale 72-157 sheets for the Balkenkreuz and Hakenkreuz ( the late stencil style). The RLM 76 is Humbrol HG3, the RLM 71 is Humbrol HG2,theRLM 02 is Humbrol HG6. The exhausts and guns were Floquil #13 Weathered Black and #17 Grimy Black.

       Since the HAD workshop was set up, it has been my workbench guard."Black 2" is also the airfield guard in my E.555/1 diorama.

       The Hudson Air Depot Photo Gallery contains a photo of one of three surviving Fw 190D series airframes.. W.Nr. 601088 was captured at the end of the conflict in Europe and returned to the US for technical evaluation as “FE-210”. Upon completion, it was donated to the National Air and Space Museum in Washington. It was loaned to the Air Force Museum for display. There it was restored to a color scheme and markings of JG3 “Udet”. Check it out.

Photo GalleryModel Magazine DatabaseModel ProjectsEnthusiast's LinksHomeContact Us